Outting bullies, Supporting Victims, and Serious News Stories all in one

Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

The Complicated Struggle To Understand “Brain Death” #JahiMcMath

Image

Pic via The Daily Mail

The very recent and emotional case of Jahi McMath has gotten international news. A 13-year-old 8th grader goes into Children’s Hospital in Oakland, California to have surgery on her tonsils and surrounding tissue to help with her sleep apnea. The surgery goes well and she wakes up in the ICU. (I’ll get to that in a few) Suddenly she starts to bleed out of her nose and mouth and passes out before the nurses call the Dr. (According to the family. The hospital can’t comment on that stuff because of Federal HIPAA laws) They do a CT scan and determine she has brain swelling and ultimately her brain is no longer functioning.

(more…)

Advertisements

Newsweek- “Why Is No One Talking About the Second Steubenville Rape Case?”

Image

Yesterday’s charges are connected to the rape of a 14-year-old girl, too. Pittsburgh Post Gazzette/Zum Press/Alamy

 

By  / November 27 2013 10:22 AM

Steubenville, Ohio is now officially ready to move on from last year’s infamous teen rape case, in which a 16-year-old girl was sexually assaulted by two high school football players. Or at least that’s the message from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, even though half the school officials indicted this week are charged with failing to reportanother alleged rape of a 14-year-old girl.

After Steubenville High School football players Ma’Lik Richmond and Trent Mays were convicted in March of raping a 16-year-old West Virginia girl after a drunken party in August 2012, DeWine assembled a grand jury to review whether additional crimes were committed. It met 18 times and heard from 123 witnesses. This week, the jury indicted four school officials, including Steubenville City Schools superintendent Mike McVey, who was charged with multiple felonies for obstructing justice.

A volunteer football coach was also indicted, on several misdemeanor charges, including providing alcohol to minors, along with a strength coach and elementary school principal who were both charged with one count regarding Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect, a fourth-degree misdemeanor.

The indicted employees were immediately placed on administrative leave and are due in court December 6. Two others — the Steubenville schools’ information technology director and his daughter — were also indicted by the grand jury last month, the latter on charges unrelated to the rape case. Both pleaded not guilty.

DeWine told reporters yesterday it was unlikely there would be more charges and that it was time for Steubenville to seek closure.

“This community has suffered a great deal. I know they desperately need to be able to put this matter behind them,” he said. “All of us, no matter where we live, owe it to each other to be better neighbors, classmates, friends, citizens.

“We must treat rape and sexual assault as the serious crime of violence that is. When it’s investigated, everyone has an obligation to help find the truth — not hide the truth, not tamper with the truth, not obstruct the trust, and not destroy the truth.”

The statement is less measured that it appears, given that half the new charges are related to a separate matter: the reported rape of a 14-year-old girl in April 2012, many months before the nationally publicized case that hit the headlines.

McVey’s charges include a misdemeanor charge, alleging he made a false statement in April 2012. Gorman’s charge of failing to report possible child abuse is also from April. The Attorney General’s office confirmed that both charges were related to the alleged April rape but declined to comment on how or whether the cases of the 16-year-old and the 14-year-old were related.

Bob Fitzsimmons, the lawyer who represented “Jane Doe” in the nationally publicized case that landed Richmond and Mays in juvenile prison for at least a year, confirmed to Newsweek that he also represents the younger girl, whose family hasn’t filed charges. He declined to comment further.

The original April 2012 incident did receive some local news coverage, but not until the fall, when “those searching the Internet after the rape allegations surfaced in August also unearthed a months-old conversation among Steubenville baseball players and wrestlers about a possible April attack involving a 14-year-old student,” as the Cleveland Dealer reported in September 2012. According to the paper, the girl’s family didn’t file a police report until she read that “conversation” online.

Multiple sources in Steubenville, who would only speak off the record, said the alleged sexual assault also involved Steubenville High School athletes and took place at a team coach’s house.

Yesterday’s official news release said the new charges were “regarding the Steubenville teen rape case” — in the singular — and, despite repeated requests from this reporter, the Attorney General’s office won’t speak on the record about any possible connection between the two incidents.

Alexandria Goddard, the legal consultant widely credited with bringing the August 2012 case to light, has covered the case of the 14-year-old on her blog, Prinnifed, including screencaps of teenagers allegedly referring to the assault (Example: “It wasn’t rape they were just making love!!!”). She told Newsweek the case has probably been further obfuscated because locals were divided on whether it was “truly consensual,” even though the legal age of consensual sex in Ohio is 16 and the purported victim just 14.

Others said the girl may have been pressured to keep quiet. At the time, Steubenville area radio host David Bloomquist, known as “Bloomdaddy,” said he thought the 14-year-old was making it up. “I guess the best way to sum up what I’m saying is this: It’s easier to tell your parents you were raped than, ‘Hey mom or dad, I got drunk and decided to let three guys have their way with me.'” he said.

“It’s time to let Steubenville move on,” Attorney general DeWine said yesterday after announcing the final four indictments. The grand jury is clearly eager to do so. But it will take more than definitive proclamations of closure to change the way people — both in Steubenville and across the country — talk about sexual assault and consent.

 

http://www.newsweek.com/why-no-one-talking-about-second-steubenville-rape-case-207333

 

 

Federal Probe Finds Harassment At West Contra Costa Schools

Image

RICHMOND (CBS/AP) – A federal investigation of the West Contra Costa School District revealed a widespread environment of sexual harassment and assaults by students that district officials failed to adequately address, the U.S. Department of Education said.

The determination came as the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights announced its agreement Wednesday with the district to ensure compliance with Title IX, a 1972 law guaranteeing equal gender treatment, and reduce future instances of harassment or sexual violence.

“I am dismayed by the prevalence of sexual harassment and assault occurring at elementary and secondary schools in West Contra Costa,” Catherine E. Lhamon, assistant secretary for civil rights, said in a written statement.” Although the district frequently reported known incidents of sexual assaults to law enforcement for prosecution, the district did not fully comply with its legal obligations under Title IX to take immediate actions to eliminate the harassment, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects, and to put proper procedures and protocols in place.”

The probe uncovered instances of sexual assaults, unwanted touching and demands for sexual favors as well as the use of sexually derogatory language that created a hostile environment within the district. It also added that students were subjected to sexual harassment by employees

As part of the agreement, the district will provide sexual harassment-prevention training and will create a task force to identify ways to reduce sexual violence. The district is comprised of 30,000 students in 37 elementary schools, six middle schools and six high schools.

The investigation began in 2010 after the brutal,2009 gang rape of a teenage girl outside of a homecoming dance at Richmond High School. Four men have been convicted and two others await trial.

The victim received $4 million to settle a lawsuit against the district in 2010.

The district said in a written statement released Thursday that while it has made significant progress, more needs to be done to make schools safer.

“Sexual harassment and gender-based harassment can be significant impairments to student learning and can leave scars that last well beyond the years our students spend in school,” the district statement said. “We’re undertaking the (agreement) with a spirit of full commitment, not only to the individual steps that are in the agreement, but also to changing the culture in our schools and communities.”

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/11/07/federal-probe-finds-harassment-at-west-contra-costa-schools/

 

 

#OPMaryville Live Stream #OpMaryville #Justice4Daisy

images

The Missouri Torch will be live streaming #Opmaryville tomorrow night.

http://themissouritorch.com/2013/10/21/opmaryville-anonymous-rally-livestreamed/

 

First Indictment From The Special Grand Jury

image

This is going to be short. The special grand jury came back with it’s first indictment against a Steubenville school IT employee.

William Rhinaman, 53, of Mingo Junction was indicted for perjury, tampering with evidence, and obstructing an investigation during the Steubenville teen rape investigation. (In March Malik Richmond and Trent Mays were convicted of rape and are serving 1 and 2 year sentences.)

The Ohio AG’s office released the sealed indictment Tuesday. Mr. Rhinaman plead not guilty and is out on $25,000 bail. His next court date is October 25th at 11AM where he will be expected to be assigned a public defender.

Copies of the official indictment-

image

image

image

                        
                          WTOV9

Case Dismissal Carpenter Vs. Blackburn

On Monday the T.R.O. was dismissed against Don Carpenter. Let’s hope the Blackburns have come to their senses and leave it alone.

image

image

screen shots from RadioNewz Blog

The Incredibly Stupid Teacher Who Showed A Nude Photo To His High School Class

Image

OAKLAND (KRON) — A San Leandro teacher who accidentally showed a nude selfie to his students is free on his own recognizance but still faces serious charges.

A judge Monday imposed a restraining order on Richard Styner as well as requiring him to stay away from all pornography, even of the legal variety.

Styner got in trouble while teaching a lesson to his students about transferring photos on a computer when a picture of himself showing his private parts appeared on the screen. Police started an investigation and say they found child porn on his computer and evidence he had broken into an adult woman’s home, photographed her underwear, and stole some clothing.

The teacher entered a plea of not guilty Monday. After the hearing, Styner offered only a terse “no comment” to KRON 4′s Scott Rates and then walked behind a friend who tried to block Scott’s camera lens.

After his client was gone, his lawyer urged people not to jump to conclusions.

“It’s unclear whether a crime has in fact been committed in this case and because of that we’re asking everyone in the community to withold any judgment,” defense attorney Scott Chazen says.

Styner is due back in court for a pre-trial hearing on July 17th.

(Copyright 2013, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)

http://news.kron4.com/news/teacher-who-showed-nude-selfie-to-class-free-for-now/

Tag Cloud